Our objectives will be to:
- Delve into what we want the children we teach to be like when they grow up - a new vision for 21st century learning.
- Build a case for why we cannot ignore social-emotional learning.
- Demonstrate the use of children's literature as "mentor texts" for developing habits of mind and emotional intelligence.
- Explore thinking routines that can be used in the classroom to foster social-emotional learning.
- Share resources for current children's literature with themes to support social-emotional learning.
Don't miss this opportunity to network with other K-5 educators interested in supporting students' habit of mind and social-emotional skill development through read aloud!
Links for the presentation and other resources are as follows:
Thinking routine templates: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bw-yqwSzVWVrdnI5YW5jS0I5bGc/view?usp=sharing
Taking Care Book Collection (as of June 17):
My Taking Care resources:
- Journal of Laura - Taking Care Featured Books: http://journaloflaura.weebly.com/featured-books
- Twitter - follow @TakingCareThurs and tweet resources using #TakingCareThurs
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/lpweakland/books-social-issues-behavior-habits-of-mind-etc/
- Livebinder: http://tinyurl.com/EducatingTheWholeChild
Other Taking Care resources:
- Be the Difference - Maria Dismondy (@mariadismondy), author and blogger, former elementary school teacher, who believes in empowering children to positively handle tough situations through the timeless messages in her books. http://mariadismondy.com/blog/
- Books That Heal - Roxanne (@Books_Heal_Kids), elementary school counselor who believes in the healing power of books in kids’ lives. http://booksthathealkids.blogspot.com/
- Books that Teach at The Corner on Character - Barbara Gruener (@BarbaraGruener), school counselor, character coach, author -http://www.corneroncharacter.com/
- Pennies of Time - Sheila (@Pennies_of_Time), founder and president of Pennies of Time focuses on supporting others in their goal to have a service and kindness oriented family - http://penniesoftime.com/childrens-book-gallery/
Thank you for attending this presentation!