On curriculum day, I mentioned #classroombookaday (http://www.classroombookaday.com/) and how my colleague and I were committing to reading aloud one picture book every day of the school year in 4th grade. Well we did it! It was so awesome for enhancing literacy motivation and engagement with students. I HIGHLY recommend it! I hope you will consider joining us next year!
At the parent workshop, I challenged families to continue with #classroombookaday and read one picture book every day for 80 days. As part of this "80 Books in 80 Days" book-a-day challenge, I plan to share my selections on Twitter with my students and their families (@MrsWeakland). I understand not everyone can or wants to take on that challenge, but just maybe you will pick up 10 picture books or read one good children's chapter book this summer! Reading children's literature can be full of fun, adventure, and humor and kids LOVE when you talk about books you read with them.
#80booksin80days.....here we go! Stay tuned as I update my log. Books are rated out of 5 stars.
1. 6/16/18 - Harvey's Choice by Nikki Grimes. A poetry verse novel about an overweight boy struggling to find his identify in a world where criticism of those that are different abounds. The entire theme was summed up in a "words of the wiser" signpost on page 86 from his friend's mom: "Shine your light, no one will care what size candle holds the flame." 4 stars.
2. - 6/17/18 - Surf's Up by Kwame Alexander. What better way to start summer than with a story about books AND the beach! I can't wait to put my toes in the sand and crack open a good book this summer. Cowabunga! 4 stars.
3. - 6/18/18 - What If... by Samantha Berger. For the creative soul in all of us. "There will always be stories to seek and find." 4 stars.
4. - 6/19/18 - Amal Unbound by Aisha Saeed. "Even in difficult situations, especially in difficult situations, you can't lose hope. Things change. They might even change for you one day." I too hope this story "shines a light on brave girls everywhere." "Making choices even when they scare you because you know it's the right thing to do-that's bravery." 5 stars.
5. - 6/20/18 - Ocean Meets Sky by Terry Fan. Summertime is for exploring! Getting lost in books and our imaginations! You will find me in the "Library Islands!" 4 stars.
7. 6/22/18 - Don't Blink by Amy Krouse Rosenthal - Holy pillow puffs! Whatever you do...don't blink! Cute bedtime story. 4 stars.
8. 6/23/18 - Willy and the Cloud by Anthony Browne - Sometimes the only way to get rid of a pesky problem cloud following us is to face it head-on. 3 stars.
9. 6/24/18 - Neither by Airlie Anderson - Learning a great message about acceptance of all in "Neither" by Airlie Anderson. 3 stars.
10. 6/25/18 - Misunderstood Shark by Ame Dyckman - Sharks ARE misunderstood! They need hugs too! 4 stars.
12. 6/27/18 - Diary of a Fly by Doreen Cronin - Fly wants to be a superhero. Words from the wiser worm..."The world needs all kinds of heroes." 2 stars.
13. 6/28/18 - Deep in the Swamp by Donna Bateman - Cute rhyming story about swamp babies & their mothers! Good info in the back. 3 stars.
14. 6/29/18 - My Mouth is a Volcano by Julia Cook - Learning what to do when our words wiggle and giggle and erupt out of our mouth like a volcano! 3 stars.
15. 6/30/18 - Bubble Gum Brain by Julia Cook - Adding a "yet" to every "I can't." 3 stars.
17. 7/2/18 - Love by Matt de la Pena - Love is the melody that follows us through each day and takes countless forms, connecting us all. 4 stars.
18. 7/3/18 - The Thank You Book by Mo Willems - "I have a lot to be thankful for...I better get to thanking!" 4 stars.
19. 7/4/18 - Nubs: The True Story of a Mutt, a Marine, and a Miracle by Major Brian Dennis and Kirby Larson and Mary Nethery - What a great story! "If you do something kind for someone, dog or human, they will likely never forget it." (MajorBrianDennis) 5 stars.
20. 7/5/18 - Pardon Me! by Daniel Miyares - Pardon Me! Oh my! Life lesson...foxes do not cry wolf! 3 stars.
22. 7/7/18 - Friends Stick Together - Friends stick together. Yes they do. 4 stars.
23. 7/8/18 - Can I Join Your Club? - Beautiful story on including everyone! "And Duck let everyone in" to OUR club! 4 stars.
24. 7/9/18 - Albie Newton - Thinking outside the box! 3 stars.
25. 7/10/18 - Potato Pants - Let's do the Po-bot for Laurie Keller's new book! 4 stars.
27. 7/12/18 - I'm Bored - Parents...if your kids say they are bored this summer..head on over to the library and check this one out! 4 stars.
28. 7/13/18 - Thelma the Unicorn - Great message about loving ourselves just the way we are! 5 stars.
29. 7/14/18 - One Cool Friend - Have you been to the penguin exhibit at the zoo yet this summer? You may just find one cool friend! 4 stars.
30. 7/15/18 - Where Oliver Fits - "You can't rush or force your fit. All you can do is be yourself! No puzzle is complete without every last piece!" 4 stars.